Single-Family Rental Operators and Investors
John Burns Real Estate Consulting works with many of the largest single-family rental operators and their investors.
- MSA rankings. We developed a methodology to rank metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) based on the potential for successfully acquiring and renting single-family rental homes. Our team analyzes over 50 categories of historical and projected demand, supply, and housing-related factors.
- Zip code ranking and price forecasting. Within an MSA, we can dive down to the zip code level, so clients can make more informed capital allocation decisions. We also create a future resale price forecast by zip code, so that our clients can consider future price changes in their underwriting.
- Financial modeling and valuation. Our cash flow models help value portfolios of assets or loans and includes our pricing forecasts with operating expenses and rehabilitation costs. The model offers tremendous flexibility to run sensitivity analyses.
- Capital raising. We have supported several capital-raising efforts through initial public offerings and private placement memorandums by providing a historical perspective and our forecast of economic and housing related trends that will impact the single-family rental business.
Research subscribers receive regular market updates as well as the following reports specifically geared to the single-family rental industry.
Our firm was at the forefront of this industry, evaluating the market and looking at single-family rentals as an alternative to get through the housing market recession.
- In February 2009, we wrote “Unlocking the Housing Market,” a pro bono white paper suggesting policies to put the housing market back on track. The paper was widely circulated, and many of the recommendations have been implemented. Click here to download the paper.
- In August 2010, we proposed the rental REO solution in meetings with people at HUD, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Treasury, and the Fed.
- Since then, we have answered questions about the program, read thoroughly on the topic, and identified property management and capital experts to develop a potential pilot rental REO program.
We did all of this pro bono to understand the potential of government to turn around the housing market. We continued to monitor the single-family rental industry as it has emerged as a new asset class and a fixture in our housing market dynamics.
Recommended Research Subscriptions for Single-Family Rental Operators and Investors
Every month, we analyze and forecast the housing market at the metro, regional, and national levels to provide you with the information you need for a competitive edge. All of our reports are delivered via email with a short summary, and posted on our website for access 24/7. Based on their needs, single-family rental operators may receive a unique combination of the reports below to get the answers they need and gain insight based on their business.
Burns Single-Family Rental Analysis and Forecast
Burns US Housing Analysis and Forecast
We designed this report for the executive who wants to make sense of all of the headline news. This monthly report examines more than 150 metrics related to housing. The Executive Summary gives an overview of the important metrics affecting the housing market and our view of their impact on the future.
Specialized Reports for Single-Family Rental Operators and Investors
We offer customized consulting services for those looking to plan their business better and to support upcoming decisions with facts.
JBREC Single-Family Rental Insights
The single-family rental (SFR) space has quickly quieted skeptics and scaled into an institutional asset class. Build-to-rent (B2R) is now playing an emerging role in the industry’s evolution. In less than a decade, Progress Residential, Tricon American Homes, Front Yard Residential, American Homes 4 Rent, and Invitation Homes have all solidified proof of concept for the SFR industry. Several of these industry leaders are now targeting B2R as part of their growth initiatives. However, a new group of operators is pursuing B2R as a standalone business model.
Why Dedicated Communities of Single-Family Rental Homes Should Be Part of a Multifamily Rental Portfolio
Companies spend huge dollars attracting and keeping clients—and this is certainly true for apartment owners. The operator who values customer retention should be asking, “Where is my tenant moving to and why?” Per Freddie Mac’s recent survey of renters, of those planning to rent their next home, 45% indicated they prefer to move into a single-family detached or attached rental home (“SFR”). Why? Only 11% of apartment units are 3+ bedroom homes. Over 65% of SFR homes have 3 or more bedrooms. And single-family homes offer other advantages. Our market surveys show that SFR tenants strongly desire the privacy offered by a single-family home with a yard, and they really don’t want to have someone live above or below them.
Dallas Tanner, the Chief Executive Officer who co-founded Invitation Homes in 2012, shares with us the future of rental homes.
Dean talks with Rick Palacios Jr., our Director of Research, on the quickly evolving single-family rental (SFR) industry.
Examples of How Single-Family Rental Clients Use JBREC Forecasts to Help Communicate with Investors
Colony Starwood Homes