US Remodeler Index (USRI)
An index of residential remodeling activity, the US Remodeler Index (USRI) offers key insights from the remodeling and home improvement market.
This quarterly index is the result of a unique partnership between one of the industry’s leading authorities on professional remodeling trends, Qualified Remodeler, and John Burns Real Estate Consulting. The USRI benchmarks current industry growth, near-term project demand and is an independent, frontline view into market trends, shifts, constraints, and underlying drivers of professional home repairs and remodels. The USRI is derived from surveys of presidents, owners, and managers of hundreds of remodeling firms in all 50 US states.
The USRI is a diffusion index reflecting weighted responses of remodeling companies on three aspects of market health: current growth, future growth, and the “hotness” of demand for professional remodels:
- Current growth (“Project Activity Gauge”) gauges project volume in the most recent quarter vs. prior year.
- Future growth (“Near Term Activity Gauge”) is an indicator of project volume growth in the upcoming quarter.
- Demand hotness (“Remodeling Hotness Meter”) reflects the overall sentiment of how strong consumer demand is for professionally completed home repairs, remodels, and improvements relative to the past three years.
“We’re excited to partner with Qualified Remodeler because these responses from their pro readership sheds much-needed light on the professional path to growth in remodeling. John Burns views pro big-project remodeling as one of the most exciting segments in the U.S. economy today,” said Todd Tomalak, JBREC Principal.
Q1 2021 Report Available Exclusively for Paid Subscribers
USRI Remodeler Index (USRI) Signals 10 Percent Market Surge in 2021
We are pleased to release the inaugural Qualified Remodeler / John Burns US Remodeler Index (USRI). The following report highlights findings from our first survey of professional remodeling activity and market conditions.
The Q1 2021 index rates a 63.5 out of 100, indicating the pro remodeling segment of the residential repair and remodeling industry expanded on a year-over-year basis for the quarter ended December 31, 2020. Ratings above 50 indicate market growth, while ratings below 50 indicate slowing activity.
The Q1 2021 index most heavily reflects broad project volume growth in 4Q20 and a larger backlog of projects in queue.
Four key takeaways from our most recent report are:
- Project volume trends vary by region. Remodelers report project growth of +2% YOY on average in Q4 2020. Remodelers in the Midwest and the South report completing 4% more projects on average, while California remodelers lag.
- Most remodelers report a growing backlog of work. 54% of remodelers say their project pipeline (backlog) is larger compared to the prior year, indicating the industry should grow again in Q1 if project cancellations are low and supply constraints ease.
- Demand shifts to larger project sizes and higher price points. 54% of remodelers say average project size has increased YOY, and 55% say there has been a shift in the mix of price points demanded by clients; 3 in 4 of these remodelers say the shift is to higher prices.
- Remodelers expect +10% revenue growth on average in 2021. Labor shortages and other supply-side constraints will be headwinds to growth.
Become a paid subscriber to access the full report
Fill out the form below to find out how you can become a paid subscriber with full access to the quarterly US Remodeler Index (USRI) report.
About Qualified Remodeler and John Burns Real Estate Consulting
About Qualified Remodeler
Qualified Remodeler is the leading media brand serving the remodeling and home improvement industry trades. In print, online and in-person, Qualified Remodeler serves the business information needs of owners and executives with news, new products, business best practices and design ideas. Published 9 times each year, Qualified Remodeler offers a BPA audited circulation that delivers your message to 83,866* subscribers. Many thousands more subscribe to newsletters, and visit our websites each month.
The magazine is perhaps best known for its original Annual Top 500 List of the largest remodeling firms in the United States. It is also well known for its industry leading design award program, the Master Design Awards.
About John Burns Real Estate Consulting
John Burns Real Estate Consulting is an independent research provider and consulting firm focused on the housing industry. John Burns founded the company in 2001 because he saw a need for better analysis on the housing market. The company has grown to a highly passionate team of research analysts and consultants in offices across the country, who work together to provide the most trusted source of US housing analysis. John Burns Real Estate Consulting’s research subscribers receive the most accurate analysis possible to inform their macro investment decisions, and the company’s consulting clients receive specific property and portfolio investment advice designed to maximize profits.